Sunday, 29 March 2020
Login |  Register 
***BREAKING NEWS***    Governor Kelly issues statewide stay-at-home order    ***
 
Find Products or Services in your local community
 
MSC News National Headlines U.S Health Tech Talk World Business Sports Top Headlines
USD 415 Board approves grant to add officer
02/12/2020

(KNZA)--A federal grant will be sought to add a school resource officer at Hiawatha schools.

The USD 415 Board of Education Monday evening gave Hiawatha Police Chief John Defore approval to seek a $125,000 grant through the U.S. Department of Justice.

If awarded, the grant will pay 75% of the officer’s salary for the first 3 years. In the fourth year, the city and the district will be responsible for the full salary. Keeping an officer for a fourth year is a requirement of the grant.

The officer will be an employee of the police department and the district will reimburse the city 70% of the officer’s salary while the city is responsible for the other 30%.

The total estimated cost over the 4-year period to the school district would be around $71,000 and the city's cost would be around $30,000.

Defore said the grant application is due March 11 and grant awards will be announced in October.

Superintendent Lonnie Moser says he previously worked in a school district with a school resource officer and feels they are beneficial.

The district last had a school resource officer in the 1990's.

© Many Signals Communications
You will need to be logged in to leave a comment.
Please Login

characters left

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.
Click here to review our Terms of Use.



MOST VIEWED STORIES
Hiawatha man arrested after chase in stolen vehicle
COVID-19 confirmed in Doniphan County
Atchison Co placed under stay at home order
Calhoon seeks comeback as Atchison Co Sheriff
KS stays home as new death is reported
Suspect flees following shooting and pursuit
Sheriff's Office announces emergency program
First confirmed case of COVID-19 in Jefferson County
Highland Community College faces discrimination lawsuit
Kelly issues executive orders to improve health care access
Latest COVID-19 release from city of Hiawatha
Governor Kelly issues statewide stay-at-home order
Motorcyclist injured in Atchison Co crash
Stay-at-home order issued for Doniphan Co
Sports complex trailer theft investigated
BC makes "unprecedented step" to close residence halls
KS reports 4th COVID-19 death
Atchison clinic awarded $53K to fight virus
Family Medicine Clinic adding precautions for patient visits
Horton Hospital sale finalized

Click Here For All Stories


LATEST STORIES
Local area sees slight increase in COVID-19 numbers
City issues release on Governor's stay-at-home order
Governor Kelly issues statewide stay-at-home order
Stay-at-home order issued for Jackson Co
Calhoon seeks comeback as Atchison Co Sheriff
Atchison foundation collects for virus relief
KS reports 4th COVID-19 death
Sheriff's Office providing care packages to elderly
USD 430 board holds special meeting
Missouri National Guard mobilized
Click Here For All Stories

©2020 MSC News
Hiawatha, Ks 66434
EEO Public Report
KNZA - KLZA - KMZA - KTNC - KAIR
Powered by Radio Media Group
173.245.54.201